Technologies for a sustainable future
We develop innovative sensing and automation technologies for biological and food systems, contributing to providing safe and quality food in an efficient and sustainable way to feed the 9 billion people expected to inhabit our planet by the middle of this century. We strive to be among the most successful and respected in our area of endeavor. Currently, we are investigating in two exciting areas: plant phenotyping and agricultural robotics.
- Dr. Changying Li was awarded the Rain Bird Engineering Concept of the Year: “Second Generation Berry Impact Recording Device (BIRD II) ” from ASABE 2017. Congratulations!
- Yu‘s paper ” GPhenoVision: A Ground Mobile System with Multi-modal Imaging for Field-based High Throughput Phenotyping of Cotton“ was chosen for an ITSC Technical Community Meeting Paper Award from the ASABE Annual International Meeting 2017. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Yu on his award of the Innovative Interdisciplinary Research Grant (IIRG) 2017.
- Congratulations to Dr. Changying Li on his award of the Presidential Interdisciplinary Seed Grant: Using robotic systems to accelerate the application of genome information in the improvement of food crops.
- Mengyun‘s paper “Classification of Foreign Matter Embedded inside Cotton Lint using Short Wave Infrared (SWIR) Hyperspectral Transmittance Imaging” was accepted by the journal of Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. Congratulations!
- Shangpeng‘s paper “In-Field High-Throughput Phenotyping of Cotton Plant Height Using LiDAR was accepted by the journal of Remote Sensing. Congratulations!
- Jesse‘s paper “A Pulsed Thermographic Imaging System for Detection and Identification of Cotton Foreign Matter” was accepted by the journal of Sensors. Congratulations!
- Aaron‘s paper ” High Throughput Phenotyping of Tomato Spot Wilt Disease in Peanuts Using Unmanned Aerial Systems and Multispectral Imaging” was accepted by the journal of IEEE Instrumentation & Measurement Magazine. Congratulations! NEW
- 2017 ASABE Robotics Competition recruitment is ongoing! Apply here.
- Our lab receives a major research grant from the National Robotics Initiative. Read more
- Yu‘s paper “High-throughput Phenotyping of Cotton Plant Height using Depth Images under Field Conditions” was accepted by the Journal of Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. Congratulation! NEW
- Dr. Changying Li was awarded the New Holland Young Researcher Award in ASABE 2016 International meeting. Congratulations! (July, 2016) Read more
- The BIRD sensor from our lab was highlighted in the ASABE Resource magazine. (July, 2016) Read the article
- Aaron Patrick presented his work in Engineering Poster Showcase!
- Congratulations to Rui Xu on his IIRG Award from Graduate School!
- Congratulations to Dr. Changying Li (Lab Director) on his promotion to Full Professor!
- BIRD sensor was selected as top four promising technologies by UGA Innovation Gateway. (March, 2015)
- Congratulations to Rui Xu for winning the second position in 2015 Boyd-Scott Graduation Research Award Competition (the M.S. category) of the ASABE, cheers! (July 24, 2015) Read more
- Welcome Dr. Gary McMurray and his group from the Food Processing Technology Division at the Georgia Tech Research Institute for visiting us. (Mar 11th, 2015)
- Welcome Dr. John Rogers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for visiting us (Feb, 2015)! Read more
- The “Agricultural Sensing and Robotics Initiative” led by Dr. Li was selected as one of the three signature research initiatives in the College of Engineering. Congratulations! (April, 2014)
- Our lab won a grant from UGA Faculty of Robotics’ Core Research Grant Program. Congratulations! (April, 2014)